It may officially be fall, but it’s still grilling season! My omnivore husband and I grill a lot because it’s easy to grill different things, share sides (corn on the cob, grilled asparagus, a grain salad, etc.), and have a meal we can both enjoy. While a charcoal grill is more work, we love the taste from our Weber grill. I recently bought Real Hardwood Charcoal from Whole Foods only because I was in a bind, needed charcoal, and happened to be at Whole Foods. We were both skeptical. But it actually lights well (no lighter fluid needed), burns for much longer than regular charcoal briquettes, and the price ($7.99 for a large bag) is as much or even less than regular charcoal.
This weekend we wanted to grill, but I didn’t have time to marinade things for a long time, and I wanted something quick and easy. This recipe came from Vegetarian Times, but it’s so simple and easy it can hardly be called a recipe. Still, it’s great for when you want a quick, easy, and satisfying meal on the grill.
Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Creamy Pesto Spread
(Originally called Grilled Veggie Po’ Boy in Vegetarian Times)
Makes one sandwich
- 1 portobello mushroom, stem removed
- 1/2 zucchini, cut into long 1/4-inch slices (You should get 4-6 slices depending on how thick you cut them.)
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- Sandwich bun
- Pesto sauce (I made my own vegan kind–see note.)
- Cream cheese (I used Tofutti vegan cream cheese.)
- Spray the mushroom and zucchini slices with a touch of cooking spray and put on the grill. Depending on how big the mushroom is and how thick the zucchini slices are, the mushroom should take 15 minutes to cook and the zucchini 10.
- When the veggies are grilled to the level of softness you want them, remove them and season with salt and pepper.
- While the veggies are cooking, mix one tablespoon cream cheese with one tablespoon pesto sauce. You can use more or less depending on how strong your pesto sauce is and how cream-cheesy you want it.
- Place the zucchini on a sandwich bun and the mushroom on top. Top with creamy pesto sauce and enjoy!
Tip: While this is great served hot, it also makes a great picnic sandwich or sandwich to take on the road or plane when traveling when wrapped and eaten at room temperature.